Re: Patch: figured bass. [Comments wanted]

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Patch: figured bass. [Comments wanted]
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 20:40:30 -0500

Jérémie Lumbroso wrote:

> JR> Please also note that the conversion from figures to notes is not unique,
> JR> since it allows chord inversions.  The conversion from chords to figures
> JR> is, as far as I know, more or less unique.  "Less" means, that ornaments
> JR> are dropped when converting to figures; but they were anyway notated
> JR> sparsely in baroque music (which is the domain of figured bass).
> Never  were  there ornaments in figured bass, it's extremely
> rare a composer explicitly tells the executer that he has to
> ornate  such note. It's left to the performer,

The continuo player is also a performer.  The long appoggiature gave
hints to the soloist which notes were suspensions, and calling that
ornamentation is a stretch IMHO.  Nevertheless, you are right that the
only use for rendering figures as notes or chords is to cheat in a
university harmony class.  :-)
DaveA