Re: reading properties

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: reading properties
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:00:38 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Citat Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:
>
> > It depends on the precise contents of ... ; the moment lily encounters
> > a note, the context of the inner { } will be switched to Thread. The
> > \context Staff will never descend, so the outer { } will also not
> > descend.
>
> Are you sure?
> Then, why doesn't both voices get thick stems in 2nd measure of the following:

Hah! Trick question. I confess that I had to try this out before I
understood. The reason is the slightly hairy way some stuff works. The
upper voice executes \stemUp, making a `private copy' of the Stem
definition. The 2nd thick stems changes the staff wide definition of
Stem, but does not touch the private version of Voice VA.

Graphically

    ___ Score definition

  [thickness = 1.0 ]   <-  [direction = 1]  (Voice va)
                   \_____  [direction = -1] <- [thickness = 5]  (Voice vb)

the 2nd thickstems does this:

  [thickness = 1.0 ]   <-  [direction = 1]  (Voice va)
           \       \_____  [direction = -1] <- [thickness = 5]  (Voice vb)
            \____________  [thickness = 5] (Staff Stem definition)

(you can remove the \stemUp in the 1st staff to verify this.)