Re: Tremolos

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Tremolos
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:04:00 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>
> > It's because of the internals. Things would get a lot easier, if the
> > paper and midi block were separated, so we could apply different music
> > functions for these situations, i.e.
> >
> >       \midi {
> >             \notes { .. }
> >
> >     }
> >
> >     \paper {
> >            \notes { ... }
> >     }
>
> Yes, but what I don't understand is, that afaiu the music IS interpreted
> twice - once for the paper and once for the midi - so I cannot see why
> we cannot apply different functions nevertheless...???
> I.e. in the unfold-function add a check so that the function does
> nothing if the music is interpreted by a engraver (instead of a performer).

The functions are applied before the engravers/performers start doing
their jobs. Secondly, no conventions exist that dictate whether
functions may change their arguments. Meaning that

          \score { \apply #unfold ..  \midi {}
          \score { ..  \paper {}

might give different results from

          \score { ..  \paper {}
          \score { \apply #unfold ..  \midi {}

If this stuff works automatically, we should be much more strict on
what such an unfold function can and cannot do.