property setting

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: property setting
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:54:13 +0200

It should be possible without any hacking to set properties in different contexts using the same macro.

The burning reason for this is the accidental macros - but also other macros might come in handy. I.e. being able to say \clef F in start of the score to get F-clefs in all staves would be quite handy.

I see two ways of doing this:

a) add aliasses to all context. I.e. "Current" to all contexts, "CurrentVoice" to all contexts except thread, "CurrentStaff" to all contexts except voice and thread.
This way one can say
\property CurrentStaff.blablabla
to affect the current staff if it is present, otherwise the inntermost context.

b) alternatively the \property command could be changed so that if the context was not found, instead of producing an error and do nothing, the operation was done on the innermost context. This way the clef-command would behave as desired without any changes to it.

Even though (a) gives the same flexibility I actually prefer (b) even though this might make debugging scores a little harder. I don't really know why I prefer (b) actually, perhaps I just don't like the idea of all contexts being flooded with aliasses...

?

-Rune