Re: improved lyrics handling

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: improved lyrics handling
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:13:18 +0200 (CEST)

> For getting fully correct lyrics, I propose that we use a different
> route; tacking it on top of \lyrics is going to be an engineering
> disaster; I am not going to system() a different program from
> LilyPond as a standard policy. Linking with Omega might be an
> option, but given the activity on their ML, I don't think it is
> going anywhere in the near future.

My suggestion was probably naive, but I think you got the point.

> Rather the correct/dimensions lyrics should be generated some kind of
> TeX preprocessor; the lyrics could then be dumped as a separate file like
>
>       \lyrics {
>           \property LyricsVoice.LyricSyllable \set #'X-extent-callback =
>                 #'(0.0 . 7.2)
>           \property LyricsVoice.LyricSyllable \set #'Y-extent-callback =
>                 #'(-1.0 . 1.2)
>           "\Zhoung"
>           \property LyricsVoice.LyricSyllable \set #'X-extent-callback =
>                 #'(0.0 . 4.3)
>           #"\Guo\043\n\t"
>               ..
>
>       }
>
> (So \Zhoung is not how it works in TeX, but you get the idea), perhaps
> using Scheme, since it makes encoding the strings more standard.

You mean `\Zhong', don't you :-)

[Actually, the pinyin style file from my CJK package for LaTeX accepts
 those macros.]

Anyway, I don't fully understand your example.  Do you mean a
two-stage compiling process similar to, say, bibtex handling during a
LaTeX run?  Please elaborate.

Note that processing lyrics only is probably not sufficient; people
will use the `a4-"foo"' notation to attach text everywhere.

    Werner