Re: next patch for lilypond-book

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: next patch for lilypond-book
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:00:20 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>     I've removed some @separate calls.  At least for the dvi and info
>     output, it is a no-op.  What are they good for?  I want to get rid
>     of them.

I added those, because we had long sequences of music snippets and
source snippets with texts, and it was often not obvious at all which
music snippets and explanatory text belonged together.  Most often, a
music snippet was *introduced* by a small text, while a source snipped
was *followed* by an explanation.

The idea was that the use of a separator (a stylished '***' or so),
can save you a lot of vertical whitespace, that is now (again) used to
lump text and music together.  However, the separators I made looked
ugly, and that's why Han-Wen no-opped them, I think.

Most bad pieces of the manual, where this sepataor was really needed,
have been removed or redone.  You can still find a piece of that old
style at the bottom of:

http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/A-melody-with-chords.html

lost of whitespace, yet quite unreadable.

Jan.