Re: Modifying multi-measure rests

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Modifying multi-measure rests
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:50:48 +0200

[moving discussion to lilypond-devel.]

address@hidden writes:
> I have made some source patches against multi-measure-rest-engraver.cc and
> multi-measure-rest.cc to modify the rest used to represent 1 measure in a
> multi-measure rest.  It uses the value of the measureLength property to
> determine if it should use a whole or breve rest.  If the length of the
> a measure is a breve or more, it uses a breve.  Otherwise it uses a whole
> rest like it normally does.  I am including patches against both 1.6.5 and
> 1.7.2 as well as mmrest_test.ly which shows the behaviour.  I would
> appreciate  any feedback you might have on these changes.

You're putting musical information into the backend by copying
measureLength into measure-length, and in general, this decreases the
flexibility of the system. Can you adapt the patch such that the
engraver simply sets a flag (eg. a boolean) in the grob? AFAICT, you
only use measure-length to examine wether it's main_part_ is bigger
than 2.

> One other question.  In measure 206, the dotted whole rest places the dot
> in the space above the rest.  This is how lilypond typeset this before I
> made any changes.  Is this the desired result?  Shouldn't the dot be in
> the space next to the rest?

Good catch; I think that it is wrong (but I'd have to look it up.)

(Also, can you check if you can run make web before submitting? Your
patch doesn't define any documentation for measure-length)

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen