Re: lilypond-mode.el Changelog AUTHORS.texi

From: Carlos Betancourt
Subject: Re: lilypond-mode.el Changelog AUTHORS.texi
Date: 22 Nov 2002 12:49:32 +0100

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 19:57, Heikki Johannes Junes wrote:
> I have some problems when applying your patch. The content of it is
> reasonable (I did not try it yet). However, please take account the
> following and resend the patch:
>
> > --- lilypond-mode.el        2002-11-12 11:47:54.000000000 +0100
> > +++ lilypond-mode.el.cbetan 2002-11-21 13:49:51.000000000 +0100
>
> 3) Use:
>
> $ diff -uN from-file to-file
> $ diff -uN lilypond-mode.el.cbetan lilypond-mode.el
>
> same applies to other files.

Well, in my case the original file is lilypond-mode.el and the modified
one is lilypond-mode.el.cbetan

So, by using:

$ patch lilypond-mode.el lilypond-mode.el.cbetan

gets an updated lilypond-mode.el

This is the first time that I submit patches to a multi-developer
project, so I'm learning. And after lot's of time lost yesterday not
coding but keeping a sane development environment, I found out that my
method is very ineffective.

I acknowledge that I was starting to get into big trouble myself
yesterday trying to keep track of which files were the originals, the
modified ones, etc. I started working in 1.7.7's tarball, then on 1.7.8
and soon it started to get really messy.

Your comments below have been _very_ helpful. With so many files to
modify, if a project like lilypond were using my method it would be a
nightmare to program. ;)

> > +;;;    * Modified way to display notes in the minibuffer
> > +;;;      of Quick-Notes-Insert mode so to include other
> > +;;;      languages' notes (21th Nov 2002)
>
> 2) This is better to include in ChangeLog-file. In general, it would
> better if the file would not be heavy-loaded with comments... hmm.. there
> is missing a comment that "See file .\ChangeLog for changes".

Ok, got it. Should I change it or you prefer to do it yourself? I'm
planing to add other lenguages to emacs-mode, so I will be touching the
file constantly. So, shall you leave it to me? ;)

> > -(defconst LilyPond-version "1.7.6"
> > +(defconst LilyPond-version "1.7.8"

Question: Why is it necesary to add this kind of static versioning in
the lisp code? I mean, it would be easier for that file to have it's own
versioning, ala RCS.

> 1) Fetch the latest cvs-version (with "cvs update") before making a diff,
> please. Then you can also invoke
>
> $ cvs diff -uN file1 file2 file3 ... > yourpatch.diff
>
> It is very easy to fail apply a patch by invoking
>
> $ "patch -p1 < yourpatch.diff"
>
> in the rootdir of lilypond-cvs source tree if the files in the patch to be
> applied are out-dated already.

Thanks for the hints. I was wondering about trees and how to keep them
in sync, or where to modify the files, etc. The method you propose is
realy nice; I didn't know that cvs had that diff option (well, I've
never used cvs). So, it means that I can fetch the cvs source, make my
modifications and the fetch again (diff) and it will create the patch
comparing what I have with what the original? I don't need to create any
.cbetan files, then. Great.

Anyway, I'll have to wait till next week, when broadband gets home.

> Emacs-mode needs a lot of improvements: indenting, slur-matching,
> autocompletion with words taken from "lilypond.words", inserting
> environments, inserting notes with a "virtual keyboard" a.k.a. Insert
> Quick Notes, etc. whatever helps inserting music.

Hey, you did a great work. I've been flirting with the idea to learn
emacs lisp for a long time, but never had any stimulating project to
start with. Your emacs-mode has given me a great push.
Thanks a lot.

I've downloaded lilypond.words, how do I make emacs to use it in
lilypond-mode?

Final question: can I do the cvs thing directly from emacs?

Friendly,

Carlos