Re: Svg output - font

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Svg output - font
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:46:26 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> > you may look into the private-fonts file to see if it makes any sense.
> Thank you, mftrace is working and I'll make you know if I have problems.
> Perhaps you consider it too preliminary, but should I be able to get it
> working, I could write a "tutorial" somewhere in Lilypond-wiki.

good!

> Well, as I said, don't know much: but I've followed some threads on the
> MusicXML mailing-list (and also on the Xemo's one) and some people ask
> about it - and say there is no free Unicode font available.
> I don't know exactly what the need could be, but I feel it should not
> hurt nobody: I can't tell you more!

I haven't seen the Unicode specs for musical symbols, but I doubt they
are useful for serious typesetting. Of course, you could take the Feta
glyphs and rearrange them in a Unicode music encoding.

> As I'm writing to you now, I take one more moment to tell you I'm
> working on a XSLT stylesheet from MusicXML (www.musicxml.com) to
> Lilypond: it works someway, can handle muliple-staff and multi-voices
> parts, but I need some time before making it available.
> As I'm not a programmer - and this is one on my very first games - I'd
> like to know whether you are interested in it and would mind have a
> look.
> MusicXML has a public licence (even if it is developed mostly by a
> coommercial company) and is becoming much supported by commercial
> programs: we don't like very much windows&Co, but MusicXML could help
> us, too - I hope I'll do a converter to Noteedit too, for example...

Sounds good. We like interoperability, especially if it means more
people will use Lily :-), so yes, we're interested. (But sadly,  I
haven't got time to help, and also don't know anything about XSLT).

Oh, please try to target 1.7 syntax, i.e.

    << c e g>>4

for chords, it will probably be easier, since MusicXML has a separate
chord notion too.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen