ly2dvi --preview bug in LilyPond 1.7?

From: Chris Sawer
Subject: ly2dvi --preview bug in LilyPond 1.7?
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 12:51:17 +0100

Hi,

I've been compiling some Mutopia submissions with LilyPond 1.7 recently, and
have found that 'ly2dvi --preview' doesn't appear to be working properly in
the most recent versions, including 1.7.20.

It seems to produce a PNG image of the whole of the first page, rather than
just of the first line. If this is intentional, then maybe the description
should be changed. 'ly2dvi --help' currently says that --preview gives an
image of 'the first system' which isn't very clear to me.

I don't know how hard it would be to do, but it would be a huge help for us
if the Lilypond 1.6 --preview behaviour could be reimplemented in LilyPond
1.7 [an image *just* of the first line, no titles or anything]. I'm not
bothered if it's given a different name, for example --small-preview, but it
saved us a lot of time making the preview images for Mutopia, as it removed
the need to mess around with the Gimp.

What would be even better is if one of these images was produced for each
"section" of the .ly file (I'm not sure of the proper name for these
sections), in the same way that a MIDI file is produced for each section. I
don't know if this is easily achievable, though.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

--
Chris Sawer   -   address@hidden   -   Mutopia team leader