Re: deleting files in input/test

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: deleting files in input/test
Date: 11 Jun 2003 13:42:29 +0200

> OK, I think I see the point now.  We'll keep it, although I'll probably
> change the filename (if only to write out "autochange-extra-voice.ly")

That's better in any case.

> But I'd just to make sure I'm doing the right thing: as far as I
> understand, input/test is supposed to be examples to demonstrate tricky
> things you can do with Lilypond.  input/regression is supposed to be for
> code snippets which "test" new version of Lilypond to make sure they do
> everything they're supposed to.

Yes.  That's how it is supposed to be.

> While I'm looking at an input/test file, currently I only look at
> whether that file demonstrates something useful for an end-user.  I
> don't try to judge whether the file is useful in regression testing; in
> part because I thought that was what input/regression was for, but
> mainly because I don't know enough about Lilypond internals (or
> engraving, for that matter -- I didn't know that the beams needed to be
> horizontal) to judge whether or not it's a useful regression test.

That's part of the problem: regtest snippets should be short, test
just one feature, and describe what the test is about; what you should
see.

> (sometimes I'll mark a file as "delete or move to regression"; I don't
> _totally_ ignore the usefulness of a code snippet in regression testing)
>
> Is this what I should be doing?  I'll never delete a file without asking
> if it's ok on the mailist, so if a file is needed for regression, somebody
> can tell me and it'll get moved instead of deleted.

Yes, I'm quite happy that you help sorting out the cruft.

> When you say "keep it", do you mean "keep it in input/test", or "move
> it to input/regression and keep it there"?
> (or even "move it to input/bugs and keep it there")

Sorry.  Move to regtest in this case.  This file does not show a trick.

> Should we move it to regression?

Yes.

Jan.