Re: accidentals - double, editorial and invisible

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: accidentals - double, editorial and invisible
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:27:30 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

I wonder whether using counts is the right solution: it doesn't
reflect typesetting (who ever uses !!!!! ?), nor musical meaning. It
seems like a quick hack. Can't we make up something neater for the
internal presentation?

Good point. Though, I don't have any ideas of a better representation.
We need to be able to represent 7 different possibilities:

- Auto-accidentals
- no accidentals
- #
- (#)
- n#
- (n)#
- (n#)

Representing theese seven possibilities with only 2 properties (with '() meaning "auto-accidentals") seems quite effective to me. But I admit that the two counts do not reflect the musical meaning at all. Though, I do think that they represent the notation quite closely - especially when thinking about how the auto-accidentals-algorithm works: It tries some different ways to typeset accidentals and cautionaries - and uses the one(s) that gives the highest number of accidentals/cautionaries. Hence, if the algorithm finds out that it needs two cautionaries and one accidentals (as is the case for the cis in the good old "cisis1 | cis"-example) then the result is (n)#.

Any ideas, anyone?

probably something like ges-\editorialSharp.  One could use a scheme
function or a special Performer to select which accidentals to use.

Hmmm, Theese accidentals would not transpose, would they?

depends on how they are implemented/stored.

If they transpose then I don't like the name \editorialSharp. You need to look both at the main note (g) and the sript (editorialSharp) to find out that the note in question is a gis ans should be transposed as such.

The idea is that each Accidental grob prints only one #, natural or
b. Then accidental-placement figures out how to align them. This makes
it possible to use

   natural #

in chords, and optionally place them like

   natural  #
  (natural)   b
   natural  #

Oh. How about (n#)? Wouldn't