Binary install for PFA fonts

From: Matthias Neeracher
Subject: Binary install for PFA fonts
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:34:28 -0700

On MacOS X, we currently don't have mftrace. It would be tempting to port it, and I've experimented with a port, but I'm not nearly there yet. Furthermore, mftrace would add a large number of additional prerequisites to the lilypond install.

On the other hand, several users have asked for the .pfa fonts. I've experimented with extracting them from the prebuilt Debian (i386) package, which works. However, that requires downloading a considerable amount of extra material, and waiting until the Debian packages for a version are available.

I was wondering, therefore, whether it wouldn't be possible to make prebuilt pfa fonts for each version available for download. I'd estimate that a gzipped tar of the type1 fonts would be approximately as large as the source archive.

Matthias