Re: surviving-staff.ly

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: surviving-staff.ly
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:12:42 +0200

On Monday 31 May 2004 15.18, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
ior. It's not justified by this "bug".

> > And if it should be added, why isn't it added if you remove the
> > second staff?
>
> Because of the way \lyricsto works. The iterator for \lyricsto never
> determines when interpreting should stop. This is always done by the
> Contexts accompanying it:
>
> * New_lyric_combine_music_iterator::ok () always returns true when
>   there are still lyrics (as in this case)
>
> * New_lyric_combine_music_iterator::pending_moment() is not
>   considered, for determining the next step to do. Without the 2nd
>   staff, the next step to be processed is +inf, and hence interpreting
>   stops.
>
> I agree that this is rather hairy, but then again, putting lyrics to
> melodies is a strange concept within the music-expression formalism
> anyway.

I must say that I am not familiar with all inner workings of lilypond, but I
think I can imagine what it approximately is about.

In any case, I still consider this a bug: A bug is a difference between what's
documented in the manual and how lilypond works, and AFAICS the docu doesn't
say anything about \lyricsto being able to extend its context after the end
of the last lyric. So from a user's point of view, I think this is a bug.

I can imagine that there could be a quick & dirty fix for this particular
problem (check if lyricsto happened to add an extra bar, and if it did,
remove it). If this isn't going to be done, then I'd consider this bug either
a wontfix or future bug, if you don't protest.

Erik