Using gdb with lilypond

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Using gdb with lilypond
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 13:30:13 -0400

I'm ready to start work on developing a fret-diagrams context and
engraver.

I'd like to do some debugging to trace what's happening in the
Chord_engraver.

Some time ago, Han-Wen gave a suggestion on figuring out how lilypond
worked:

> GDB can be of help here. Set a breakpoint in C++, and run. When you
> hit the breakpoint, do a backtrace. You can inspect Scheme objects
> along the way by doing
>
>   p ly_display_scm(obj)
>
> this will display OBJ through GUILE.

I thought this sounded like a good idea.  So I rebuild lilypond, starting
with
./autogen.sh --enable-debugging

make all

make install

Then I tried to invoke gdb to work on lilypond-bin:

address@hidden lilypond-files]$ gdb lilypond-bin
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.0post-0.20040223.19rh)
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...(no debugging symbols
found)...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

Apparently no debugging information is available.

I tried to execute lilypond to see if it would work.

(gdb) run fret-diagram.ly
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/lilypond-bin fret-diagram.ly
Error while mapping shared library sections:
: Success.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
: No such file or directory.
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging
symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no
debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...[Thread debugging
using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -150682368 (LWP 4355)]
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...Error while
reading shared library symbols:
: No such file or directory.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
: No such file or directory.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
: No such file or directory.
(no debugging symbols found)...Error while reading shared library symbols:
: No such file or directory.

Now processing `fret-diagram.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... error: can't find `feta20.afm'
Fonts have not been installed properly.  Aborting

So I can't figure out how to execute lilypond under gdb so I can set
breakpoints,
examine source, examine variables, single step, etc.

I'd appreciate any instructions on how to make this work. (I've used gdb on c
and
c++ before, but never on a system as complex as lilypond).

Thanks,

Carl Sorensen