Feature completeness

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Feature completeness
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:59:10 +0300 (EEST)

Since the current developement version is already feature complete, I'll spend a
little time by studying what issues there still are to be aimed at.

Currently, my favourite pending issue for publishing the next stable branch is
the Fret Diagram markup, which however seem to already be in a fairly mature
state. After that is completed as a markup (Carl may decide), I'm happy since
there is a big possibility that NoteEdit project will take this feature
immediately into use already as a markup.

For the (near) future developement branches I could list the following issues:

 - Develope Fret Diagrams: the same syntax may be used for music and markup
     ( Just go on the good work Carl! )

 - Split midi channels in quarter tone music:
     the semi-tones will be thrown to channels  1-8, for example, and
     the quarter-tones to channels  9-16.
     ( I tried to start implement this once, but was lost into the source.
       I would happily hand it over! )

 - Add possibility to put (almost) any markup collisionlessly between slurs:
     slurred notes, articulations, fingering, chords, music snippets, etc.
     ( This is coming at its own pace. Somewhat, it's already there. )

 - MusicXML import: this is an important effort to interoperate between people!
     ( There is already an initial effort at http://www.nongnu.org/xml2ly/ )

 - Decrease the number of dependencies, trying always to make the program easier
   to install. This practically means easier ports and builds in different
   platforms.
     ( Wow, direct PS output! )

 - Translations of the .po files into new languages.
     ( Welcome, volunteers! )

 - Any other cool feature that will appear!

Greetings,

  Heikki Junes