Re: various issues from the CVS

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: various issues from the CVS
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:32:54 +0200

Werner LEMBERG writes:

> There is the following ChangeLog entry:
>
>   * tex/latin1.enc: Replace /minus with /hyphen.  WL says that's the
>     latin1 name.
>
> This is not correct.

Sorry.  Please fix, otherwise I will later.  No offence intended.

> I say that the EC fonts don't have a /minus
> glyph, and that latin1.enc must be adapted accordingly if used as an
> font encoding vector for EC fonts.  You should probably avoid
> `latin1.enc' as an output encoding name.  What about renaming it to
> output-ec.enc or something like that?

It is not used as an output or font-encoding; latin1 is used as
input-encoding.

> Another remark from book-paper-defaults.ly asks
>
>   %% This is weird; `everyone' uses LATIN1?  How does I select TeX
>   %% input encoding in EMACS? -- jcn
>
> There is no `TeX input encoding' per se.

That's why I do not understand how you can use TeX input encoding, I
do not think it make any sense.  TeX input incodin would be 'ascii' +
anything you select.  latin1 would be a sensible TeX input encoding.

> Maybe I don't understand the question correctly.  What do you want to
> achieve?

I want to first document everything about these encodings, to get
better understanding, because it seems we need some fixes or a rewrite
here.

Jan.