entering music without \time

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: entering music without \time
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:02:22 +0200 (CEST)

For my score, I have a separate, invisible `top' staff which contains
all \time commands, and which is always included -- this saves a lot
of typing.  Unfortunately, this doesn't work with \addquote, since I
can't have more than a single voice for this command.  How can this be
solved?

My idea is to have an input mode where \time commands aren't necessary
to change the length of a bar; `|' and siblings should be enough to do
that.  Example:

  c4 c c c | c c c |

should be the same as

  \time 4/4 c4 c c c | \time 3/4 c c c |