Compiling CVS on OSX: success!

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Compiling CVS on OSX: success!
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:39:45 -0700

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth (and help from Matthias, and me
running in circles and finally, when all else failed, learning how to
use patch(1) ), I've managed to build a CVS version of Lilypond on OSX.
I'm presenting this info for the archives so that others can find it.
If somebody thinks it's useful info, I could add it to INSTALL.txt

Steps:
1.  Make sure your fink installation is up-to-date, and that you've
installed all the programs required for building lilypond.  The easiest
way to do this is to install lilypond-unstable, then remove
lilypond-unstable.

2.  I've got my lilypond source in ~/usr/src/lilypond/ .  If you want
to put it elsewhere, modify the rest of these instructions accordingly.
Also create a ~/usr/bin, ~/usr/info, ~/usr/lib, and ~/usr/pkg
------ here's a screenshot to illustrate this! :)  -----
spark-daemonology-net:~/usr gperciva$ ls
bin     info    lib     pkg     src
------

3.  In ~/usr/src, create a few symlinks.  See "screenshot" for details.
------
spark-daemonology-net:~/usr/src gperciva$ ls -l
total 40
-rwxr-xr-x   1 gperciva  gperciva   650 19 Aug 16:26 finkit
drwxr-xr-x  68 gperciva  gperciva  2312 24 Aug 01:14 lilypond
lrwxr-xr-x 1 gperciva gperciva 42 24 Aug 02:16 lilypond-profile -> lilypond/buildscripts/out/lilypond-profile lrwxr-xr-x 1 gperciva gperciva 64 18 Aug 19:18 lilypond-unstable.info -> /sw/fink/10.3/unstable/main/finkinfo/text/lilypond-unstable.info lrwxr-xr-x 1 gperciva gperciva 65 18 Aug 19:10 lilypond-unstable.patch -> /sw/fink/10.3/unstable/main/finkinfo/text/lilypond-unstable.patch
-rwxr-xr-x   1 gperciva  gperciva    78 19 Aug 16:24 unfink
------

"finkit" and "unfink" are shell scripts.  Make them as follows:

------ finkit:
#!/bin/sh
cd ~/usr/src
# stuff from lilypond-unstable.info
export BISON=/usr/bin/bison PYTHON=/sw/bin/python2.2 GUILE=/sw/bin/guile-1.6 GUILE_CONFIG=guile-1.6-
config
# kpathsea setup
export LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib/
export CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include/

cd lilypond
patch -p1 < ../lilypond-unstable.patch
nice ./autogen.sh --prefix $HOME/usr/pkg/lilypond
-----

----- unfink:
#!/bin/sh
cd ~/usr/src/lilypond
patch -R -p1 < ../lilypond-unstable.patch

4. To build Lilypond, run "finkit". This applies the fink patches, and sets up some stuff to tell Lilypond where to find certain libraries and programs required for building it.

5. Build lilypond as usual; "nice make all" or something like that. Follow that with "make install". This will stick lilypond in ~/usr/pkg.

6.  Run another script:
------- update-pkgs.sh
#!/bin/sh
for a in bin lib info   ; do
  cd ~/usr/$a/
  rm `find -type l`
  ln -s ../pkg/*/$a/* .
done
-----

This will stick lilypond binaries in ~/usr/bin.

7.  Add the following lines to your ~/.profile:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PATH=$PATH:~/usr/bin
export PATH
. ~/usr/src/lilypond-profile

8. Start a new shell, and you're done. If you want to commit CVS changes, remember to run "unfink" before committing changes. "unfink" will remove
the fink patches, so you don't pollute the CVS tree with OSX-specific
stuff.  :)

I hope that helps somebody.  There's nothing new or difficult in there;
anybody who knows how to program in *nix could probably come up with all
that in their sleep.  But if you don't know how to program and just want
to help out with documentation, these steps may be very useful for you.