Re: Predefined macros, was: lilypond ./ChangeLog Documentation/user/nota

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Predefined macros, was: lilypond ./ChangeLog Documentation/user/notatio...
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:31:13 -0700

On 24-Aug-04, at 3:54 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
I think the main problem is not the work to enter the code, but rather
the work to find out how to do it. I think the shortcuts help both
for newcomers who haven't yet learned how to set properties, somewhat
experienced people who still have problems to always find the relevant
grob, property and value and oldboys like me who know where to look
for all the relevant information but find it easier to remember the
names of the shortcuts than the exact name of every grob and property.

I definitely agree with this.  The shortcuts also increase readability
and look much friendlier.  If I were browsing around Mutopia or other
Lilypond examples, I'd much rather see
\tieUp
than
\override Tie #'direction = #1    (or should that be -1 ?)

On a vaguely related note, can you do
\once \tieUp

(I just tried it and it didn't work, but maybe there was some extra syntax
I missed)

If not, this feature would be very useful.

The decision isn't final, but I would like to phase out the shortcuts
in ly/property-init.ly gradually, replacing them with more generic
mechanisms.

If you definitely don't want to pollute the global name space with
predefined macros,

Would it be possible to have separate include file for these easier
macros?  (like we used to do with "paper16" )

\include "nice-macros.ly"
\score{ \relative c'{
\tieUp
c4 ~ c4
}}

In addition, how much pollution does \slurUp and whatnot cause?  I mean,
we don't want to use "slurUp" to refer to anything else, do we?