Re: jazz articulations - 'fall'

From: Chip
Subject: Re: jazz articulations - 'fall'
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:49:07 -0700

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Since nobody else has answered yet, I hope you realize that your
feature request is just one out of many feature requests and
bug reports for LilyPond. If you take a look at the mailing list
archives for this list, and for info-lilypond, you'll see what's
considered most urgent for the moment. The most common reason that
a new feature is implemented in LilyPond is that someone finds it
interesting and/or urgent enough to spend the time to implement it
or that a large number of people on the list have requested it.

Of course I don't know what 'a large number of people' really means.
But there have been numerous queries on the list about this type of articulation.

When it comes to your scanned example, I'm afraid it's not very
useful, since the main implementors have very high ambitions on
the graphical layout of the musical font.

Okay, I understand the part about high ambitions on the graphical font and wanting to make it the best possible font, but why can't someone just take an existing font symbol and slightly modify it and save it with a new name? For example, the font symbol called accidentals-rightperen. If possible simply tilting it from the bottom position, with the top being pinned so it pivots from the top, out to the right about 40 degrees or so (with straight out to the right being 90 degrees) would make the symbol for the jazz fall articulation. If I had the slightest idea of what to do with fonts and modifying them, I'd give it a try for my own use. But, hey, whatever happens, I can always make do by using the font symbol flags-u3. The top part will look a bit unusual for the purpose but it will be good enough. Regards and Thanks anyway, I still think lilypond beats the pants off the other apps for printing music.

Here is an address for another sample, this one created in finale2005 and saved as a pdf- http://www.wiegand.org/~chip/test.pdf
--
Chip

See for example what
Han-Wen wrote in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-05/msg00283.html
I also recommend that you read the Essay starting at
http://lilypond.org/web/about/automated-engraving/.

   /Mats

Chip wrote:

Back on Oct 7 I sent a sample of the articulaton for a 'fall' used in jazz and other modern music styles. I see it in the archives and am wondering what the status is, I haven't received any confirmation or notice regarding the message. I don't know if I should be expecting such a thing.
thanks and regards,
Chip