lilypond -> midi -> ogg vorbis

From: mark
Subject: lilypond -> midi -> ogg vorbis
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:19:54 +0200

Hi all,

The last few months saw the creation of the freepats sound patterns package and
updates to timidity. Creating an Ogg vorbis file from midi is now as simple as:

$ timidity -Ov lilypondgenerated.midi

It would be trivial to add Ogg vorbis output to lilypond and/or lilypond-book.

Does that fit into the Lilypond philosophy? I don't know, but I see a few
advantages of integrating Ogg vorbis output support, especially with
lilypond-book:

* eliminates a conversion step for Lilypond users
* easier to burn to CD, use on portable player (this would help me as a music
teacher)
* helps spread the free Ogg vorbis audio compression format
* ...

This would of course add timidity and/or freepats dependencies...

Any thoughts?

Mark