Re: lilypond ./ChangeLog ./VERSION input/test/corio...

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: lilypond ./ChangeLog ./VERSION input/test/corio...
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:13:27 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>
> >  \paper {
> >      indent=10.0\mm
> >      linewidth=150.0\mm
> > +    raggedbottom = ##t
> >  }
>

> Hmmh, raggedright goes into the \layout block, but raggedbottom goes into
> the \paper block.  This is not very consistent, is it?

It is. raggedright can be adjusted per \score block, so it goes into
the (\score specific) \layout block.  raggedbottom is a page layout
variable, so it should be in the (\book wide) \paper block.

raggedright can actually be in both blocks. The \paper block is a
fallback: any variable not found in \layout is searched in \paper, so
doing

   raggedright = ##t

will set all \scores to raggedright.

I agree that this may seem confusing. If I could redesign things from
scratch, we would probably only have a \book wide \paper block.
Unfortunately, backward compatibility makes that very hard.

Perhaps we can consider it for the 3.0 release, where we will allow
ourselves to break compatibility in bigger ways.