Re: Figured bass Documentation issue

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Figured bass Documentation issue
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:27:41 -0500

    Mats> The question is rather what "eats" means. In version 2.4, I think the
    Mats> author meant to say that figured bass requests and rest requests are
    Mats> taken into account, i.e. "eat"="use", not "eat"="discard".
    Mats> Maybe we have some nutritionist on the list who can help clarify the
    Mats> situation? ;-)

There might be better words to use than "eats".

But I don't see that note-requests are being treated any differently
from rest-requests.  In both cases, the FiguredBass context is taking
the timing values and using them to decide where to put the figures,
but not otherwise displaying them.  So leaving out note-requests from
that sentence was really misleading, especially to someone who had
read the previous version.

In a programming context, I think eat frequently does mean discard --
I'm sure I've used an editor with a command called "eat-blanks".

    Mats> Seriously, the comments in the Regression test files have probably
    Mats> been formulated mainly to be read by the LilyPond hackers. The
official
    Mats> documentation is in the notation manual. Of course, this is a pity,
    Mats> since I find the Regression Tests document one of the best sources of
    Mats> examples for LilyPond users on all levels.

I consider the examples to be part of the documentation.  As do the
Debian packagers, who put them in a directory called
/usr/share/doc/lilypond/examples.  It really wouldn't be possible to
write a clear, concise manual with all the stuff you need to have a
working lilypond file, and lots of us never really write all that
stuff -- we either snarf one of the example files or let a converter
like abc2ly write it for us.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139