Re: Example massacre

From: Luise Marion Frenkel
Subject: Re: Example massacre
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:52:09 -0200 (BRST)

I am an sporadic Lilypond user, who tries to keep up to date with the
syntax changes reading the user and devel lists. I have to type many
different sorts of music, and usually no template fits me well. I find
it very difficult to find the answers for my questions in the manual.
When the Tips and Tricks were more complete, I just had to roll that
page down until I found what I needed. Most tricks I needed were
perfectly documented there, and I easily recognized what I needed by
the pictures. Now I have to try to remember what picture (that is
lilypond image) that once I saw in the manual is what I need and where
it could be and start browsing the One-Page manual. Google searching is
not practical for those who are not native-english speeker because
often they do not know what the right term is. Images have a
universal meenig and spare us of looking the glossary. And for those who
do not do "standard" scores, but weird arrangements which are fitting
for their practice, it is not always necessary to use the RIGHT thing,
but something which does the job.

I am still looking at the Tips and Tricks of former Lilypond branches,
which are more complete, and updating the code. I do not think that the
Tips & Tricks should be a compillation of all lilypond snipets or
examples in the manual for that would again be to much. I just liked
very much the old Tips and Tricks.

I think that even advanced Lilypond users need to look into the manual
as soon as they do something different. The tutorial must focus on
novice users, but the manual has to be also fit for the frequent users.

Since this thread started together with the figured-bass issue, is there
by the way any difference between #3 and 3#. A Ricordi Score for the
Vivaldi Gloria RV589 uses both, but more #3. I coul not find a way to
typeset this. I do not know anything about figured bass, except that the
organist with whom I shall play knows how to handle them!

TIA

Luise