Re: UTF8 and (La)TeX backend?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: UTF8 and (La)TeX backend?
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:26:08 +0100 (CET)

> > how do you think we should handle encoding for the TeX backend?  I
> > am tempted to just dump
> >
> >   \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > we still need to do something with encoding, to
> >
> > 1. dump the appropriate \usepackage headings
> >
> > 2. select a reasonable guesstimate for the initial rendering run
> >    used by -f texstr
>
> In addition, it would be nice if normal (i.e. utf8 encoded) input
> files keep working and produce similar results, both in -f tex and
> -f ps.

I believe that `-f tex' and `-f ps' are fundamentally different, and
that we shouldn't invest time to `unify' both interfaces.  We have
different fonts, different encodings, different font attributes, etc.
As discussed before, lilypond should pass the text strings for the TeX
backend unmodified to TeX.

It probably makes sense to pronounce the differences between `-f tex'
and `-f ps' w.r.t. font handling even more -- what about renaming the
TeX font attributes to `tex-font-...'?

    Werner