Re: Any disadvantage to #'tag ?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Any disadvantage to #'tag ?
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:30:08 -0800

On 27-Dec-04, at 10:17 AM, Giancarlo Niccolai wrote:
The tag is a rater nice feature; however, it's syntax is quite complex. Would
it be possible to simplify it and make it more typing friendly?

It's certainly _possible_, but I'm not certain how much friendlier it could
be.  Do you have any suggestions?

\tag #'NAME {blah blah }

\keepWithTag #'NAME

seems pretty easy to me. I suppose we could shorten the "\keepWithTag" bit; maybe "\keepTag" ? "\keeptag" would avoid having to type a capital letter,
but the capital makes it easier to read.

The example in the manual is aimed at cue notes, and thus looks more
complicated than it needs to be.  (yes, I'll fix it.  Eventually.  :)
If you're just using tag for making individual parts, it's quite easy.

At the beginning of your violin part, do
\tag #'(violin score)

In your printing section, use
\keepWithTag #'violin
or
\keepWithTag #'score
depending on what you want.

I've added an example of \tag to create string quartet parts to CVS;
it'll probably show up in about a week in the unstable web docs.