fetaXX fonts revised

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: fetaXX fonts revised
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:00:18 +0100 (CET)

I've applied extensive changes (mainly behind the scene) to the mf
code which constitute the fetaXX fonts (the others will come in due
course).  The visual differences should be minor.  Please test.  There
are still some bugs in fontforge which I use for post-processing the
mf2pt1 output, but it's already getting much nearer -- I hope to show
you a directly generated Type 1 font soon.

    Werner

        This patch addresses the following problems in the feta
        sources files which contribute to the fetaXX fonts.

        . Many fixes for rasterization at low resolutions (consistent
          use of `vround' and `hround', integer shift values for
          paths, applying `eps' for mirrored paths, use of
          `define_whole_pixels' and friends, etc.) -- while this
          probably looks like a waste of time it has revealed
          deficiencies in some glyph shapes.  See comment at the end
          of feta-params.mf how vertical symmetry is achieved.

        . The `---' operator has been replaced everywhere with `--';
          this both improves and considerably reduces the font size
          after conversion with mf2pt1.

        These change aren't explicitly mentioned below since virtually
        all glyphs are affected.

        Other notable differences:

        . Glyphs from feta-accordion.mf now have charboxes around the
          outline.

        . Fixed incorrect charbox for `accDot'.

        . The `rcomma' and `lcomma' glyphs were distorted due to a
          typo.

        . Fixed position of the bow in the `upprall' glyph and its
          siblings.

        . The bulb size in the `2/2 meter' and `4/4 meter' glyphs is
          now dependent on the staff line thickness to avoid touching
          the middle staff line at smaller sizes.

        . Largely extended output for feta-testXX: Where useful,
          glyphs are shown both between and on staff lines.