Re: feta20 from mf2pt1

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: feta20 from mf2pt1
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 04:04:39 +0100 (CET)

> Apologies for a late response - but would it be possible to utilize
> the mfplain mode in MetaPost to obtain outlines for the pen-based
> figures in parmesan?

No.  An envelope (as produced by a pen) of a third-order Bézier curve
can't be represented by another Bézier curve since it is a sixth-order
curve in general.  Jürgen and I will examine glyph by glyph, replacing
the strokes with Bezier approximations.  I have a macro in my mind
which could do this approximation automatically for `simple' curves,
but I think it is a cleaner solution to do it manually.

> I have done this with some stroke-based MetaFonts with a good degree
> of success (it just needs a FontForge script to Remove Overlap, as
> the individual strokes are held thus in PostScript).

Tested -- and rejected.  It can give disastrous results if you use,
say, an elliptical pen.

    Werner