Re: cygwin: lilypond and tetex-3.0

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: cygwin: lilypond and tetex-3.0
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:02:49 +0100

Bertalan Fodor writes:

> I've found the problem, but I'm still not sure in solution:
> there is an mf.base file in
> /usr/share/texmf/web2c

That's strange.

> But texconfig creates its formats in
> /var/lib/texmf/web2c

That's correct.

> So mf looks at the wrong place for mf.base

Can you find out why that is?  What does kpsewhich mf.base say?  Do
you have the new versions of texmf.cnf (the 3.0 version has TEXMFVAR,
previous versions have VARTEXMF).

Hmm.  Maybe, in texmf.cnf, TEXMFVAR must be added to SYSTEXMF

    TEXMFVAR = /var/lib/texmf
    ..

    %%SYSTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFMAIN;$TEXMFDIST
    SYSTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFVAR;$TEXMFMAIN;$TEXMFDIST

> Shouldn't mf.base and the other format files generated into
> /usr/share/texmf/web2c?

No, the FHS dictates generated stuff to go in /var, /usr may be
read-only.

Jan.