Introducing the LIlypond Snippet Repository: less safe safe mode

From: Sebastiano Vigna
Subject: Introducing the LIlypond Snippet Repository: less safe safe mode
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:02:52 +0100

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 13:26 +0100, Nicolas Sceaux wrote:

> Sorry for not being very reactive since then.
> I'm about to commit a `define-safe-public' macro, used where
> appropriate.
> make web runs fine.

Safety is (I think) the only remaining technical problem. This week-end,
after swearing a lot against Tomcat, I was able to create a local
distribution. You must provide Tomcat and Velocity, but if those and
MySQL are installed you can have a local LSR (read-only) in a minute.
Dumps are updated nightly.

It is my understanding that safety is handled in a Scheme function that
tags specific constructs as safe. Would it be possible, say, to
overwrite it locally (I mean, on the server running LSR) with something
lighter?

In particular, I'm thinking of an applet-like policy--do what you want,
but you cannot read/write file or execute commands.

It is very discouraging for people trying to put in stuff to get
mysterious Scheme traces.

I can't sort this out by myself, so some core developer should help
here...

--
Ciao,

                                        seba