Trac for submitting/tracking bugs/enhancements/features?

From: Marcus Macauley
Subject: Trac for submitting/tracking bugs/enhancements/features?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:13:52 -0500

Hi,

I wonder if Trac (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/) might be a useful system
with which to submit and track bugs, enhancements, feature requests, and
changes to Lilypond, and/or to the Lilypond documentation. I don't know
enough about the current CVS system to know how well that works, but I was
very impressed with the way Trac worked for Instiki, a wiki engine built
on Ruby:

http://dev.instiki.org/

Even for me, a non-programmer, it was easy to see what bugs and feature
requests had been submitted, fixed, assigned to whom, ranked what
severity, and so on, and I was able to easily submit a bug I had noticed,
which amazingly was fixed by the next day.

It seems to me this system could work very well for Lilypond, perhaps
better in many ways than the mailing lists/CVS. For what it's worth, Trac
integrates with Subversion, which though it'd be a change from CVS, has
some neat features from what I hear. Trac also includes a wiki, which
could (optionally) be used for documentation, though that might not be
appropriate.

What do you think?