Re: 'make web' fails (and takes forever)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: 'make web' fails (and takes forever)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:56:31 +0200

David Bobroff wrote:
On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 22:59 +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

David Bobroff wrote:

I've tried a few times recently to build the web-docs from CVS.  I've
noticed that the build time for LilyPond itself seems to be much shorter
than it used to be.  On the other hand, the build time for the web-docs
seems extremely long.  I tried building the web-docs (after successfully
building LilyPond) from CVS ChangeLog 1.3812  ('release commit') and it
happily chugged away apparently building the website.  After it had been
doing this for over 7 hours I went to bed.  When I got up this morning I
saw this in the console:

Can you give me a tiny bit more of the output? It will probably say "Failed files: <foo.ly>" somewhere.

Ok, but I'll have to run 'make web' again.  I suspect it will take many
hours to get there again but I'll likely be able to send something in
the morning.

While it was working I saw that it would take a lot of time at the
points where it was converting to PNG.  I didn't actually time any of
these events but it was on the order of minutes.

PNG generation has become a bit slower, because we render at higher resolution and then scale down the image. However, this should not make that much of a difference.

I *think* I recall that the really slow PNG generation began some ways
into the build.  Can't be sure about that, though.

oh yeah, there's another thing: GUILE has a memory leak, which means that lilypond-book run slower the farther you get. I already fixed this in GUILE, but the GUILE guys are kind of slow with doing releases.