Re: displayLilyMusic -- tested

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: displayLilyMusic -- tested
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:48:59 +0200

Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
Hi,

Here is a tested version of a `display-lily-music' function:
  http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/print-lily.scm

If you think this is not maintanable/good enough for the LilyPond
distribution, then I'll keep it somewhere else.

Hi,

some comments.

* Couldn't the print-method be added as a property to scm/define-music-types.scm for each type? (or perhaps as a list of methods?)

* I think it is better to call the routines xxx-display-yyy iso. xxx-print-yyy, to prevent any confusion between front-end and backend.

* If possible, the meta-machinery for printing and the actual methods should be in different files, the latter file being called define-music-display-methods.scm

* I notice that you mention GOOPS in a comment. We do use goops in a couple of places, but we should minimize this. I do not want LilyPond to be completely dependent on GUILE. It would be nice if we could switch to a different scheme interpreter with a relatively small amount of work. (specifically, I'm considering MzScheme for this.)