Re: what a discovery

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: what a discovery
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:17:49 +0100

Arie Fokkens wrote:
feathered beaming over barlines, and other unusual notation. It is a great discovery that your software can just do all this.

thanks!

I have allso some suggestions
During working on a project of a Dutch composer, (a very complex piece for organ), I found out that most music fonts were too wide. I could only fit 2 bars on a A4 oblong sheet of paper. This was not satisfatory for me. I have then worked on a font which is much smaller, based on the fact that many times in handwriting, a notehead is often not much more than a small forward slash. So I tilted the notehead more and was then able to make a far more condensed score without losing readability. I now use this smaller and narrower font for all my music.

If you're able to compile LilyPond by yourself, can easily achieve this. Our font definition contains

 fet_beginchar ("Quart notehead", "s2");
        % used to have 32. With 31, they are slightly bolder.
        draw_outside_ellipse (1.49 - puff_up_factor / 3.0, 31, 0.707, 0);

31 is the angle of the notehead. By changing it into eg. 45, you can get a bigger slant.

See attached.

In the figured bass area, I noticed that the figuring is below the notes. Together with a musicologist I developped a font for figured base (for use in Finale), which is to be used on top of the notes. In fact this proved to be an easier way to read the figured bass line.

figures can be both above and below. I guess you're referring to the garamond copy on your homepage?

PNG image