Re: New to LilyPond. Customizing Lilypond Graphics.

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: New to LilyPond. Customizing Lilypond Graphics.
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:20:42 +0100

Erik Sandberg wrote:
On Saturday 26 November 2005 08.13, Anthony Bargnesi wrote:

Hello Lilypond developers,

This is the first I am hearing of lilypond.  Recently it was mentioned in
linux journal and I was curious if this could be used for a project I want
to do.  I want to create an application to produce scores for turntablists
based on the Turntablist Transcription
Method<http://www.battlesounds.com/ttm/>.
This would require all new graphics for the different types of turntable
scratches and mixing techniques.  Since I am new to the development of
lilypond could someone point me to resources or state how I can go about
adding code for new graphics?

Is it possible to create a score containing both a turntable staff and a "conventional" staff? In this case, it could be sensible to add turntable support for lilypond.

To me, there seems to be one problem: It seems that this turntable notation is a strictly proportional notation; i.e., the width on paper of a bar is always proportional to the time it takes to play it (or, in other words, the horizontal gap between two 16th beats is always equal within one system). Lilypond has some support for proportional notation, but the program's algorithms are highly optimised for non-proportional notation (as this is how most music conventionally is notated).

Adding it is not really a problem, but it does imply that writing ttm should be fully "LilyPondesque", ie. take note of timing information, and use spanners to portray graphic lines. Then spacing can be fully left to LilyPond. You can not just dump a fixed bezier curve, because that will mess up if Lily decides to space your score non-uniformly.