[doc] getting started

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: [doc] getting started
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:00:54 +0100

Hi,

Inspired by Linda's suggestions on lilypond-user, I decided to take a look at
what's missing for a newbie on our webpage. I concluded that some things can
be improved.

I tried to pretend that I'm a newbie who doesn't know clearly the difference
between a text editor and a word processor, and who wants to try this thing
lilypond that a friend recommended. I also pretended that I am a Windows
user.

Problem 1: When I've reached the downloads page, which package should I
install? There's one called "Windows" and one called "Windows/cygwin". It's
not clear that the first one is highly recommended (and there is no
explanation of the difference).

Problem 2: On the Getting Started page,
http://lilypond.org/web/install/getting-started
a windows user is advised to look at a "quickstart method for Windows".
This link goes to a quickstart method for "Windows/Cygwin", not for "Windows
native". This might be confusing.

Problem 3: The Getting started page says "Start your favourite text editor".
This is problematic if I don't know what a text editor is. Someone said that
lily ships with a simple text editor in windows, perhaps this should be
mentioned.

Apart from these things, it looks fairly good AFAICS.

And an unrelated thing: In the list of PDF viewing commands on the Getting
Started page, two important alternatives are missing:
        evince test.pdf
        kpdf test.pdf
Those are the default PDF viewers under ubuntu and kubuntu.

--
Erik