Re: parallel versus series scoring

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: parallel versus series scoring
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:47:10 +0100

On Saturday 21 January 2006 12.33, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
>
> As you point out, this presents syntactical difficulties. Why not do
>
>   \parMusic #'(A B C)  { c | e | g  | d | f | a}
>
> which expands to  { }, and defines the following vars in the parser
>
>    A = { c d }
>    B = { e f }
>    C = { g a }
>
> then, the user can decide for himself how to structure A B and C.

And as a bonus, we get a built-in command for variable assignments inside
music expressions (which sometimes has been requested):
   \parMusic #'(foo)  { ... }
(given that \parMusic returns a dummy music expression).

BTW, it would be nice and uniform if 'void' music functions would be possible,
i.e., music functions using the \foo {...} syntax (as opposed to #(foo #{ ...
#}), and whose return values are ignored. I looked at parser.yy, and it look
fairly easy to implement.

--
Erik