Re: segfault with CVS version of lilypond

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: segfault with CVS version of lilypond
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:51:01 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I know that `GrandStaff' is not suitable for cross staff beaming,
but...

Having fixed staff distances for PianoMusic is not ideal.  Just
wondering whether there are ideas to implement cross staff beaming
without that restriction, probably using the new two-pass technique...

that won't be possible. The problem is that the distance between the staves has to be known before the line breaking, while the two-pass hack relies on modifying the PaperColumns where line-breaks are.

We would have to rewire the formatting logic for this: first set line breaks, and after determining line breaks determining spacing. It would be a large undertaking