Re: 2D vector code

From: David Feuer
Subject: Re: 2D vector code
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:08:21 -0400

On 4/15/06, Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> As far as Lilypond is concerned, I don't think most of them _are_ vectors.
> The points I've used in developing stencils _have_ been points (e.g. bounding
> box corners)  I guess in your work with ps, there may be more vector stuff.
> I haven't followed it up closely.
>
> vec and vec2 are inconsistent with lilypond style.  Lilypond style calls for
> using full english words, not abbreviations.  (This used to be in the
> Standards section of the webpage, but the naming section is now blank, so
> maybe this convention is deprecated).
>
> Perhaps 2d-vector, xy-vector, r2-vector, vector-2d, or vector-xy.

As I said, I'm not going to be working on any LilyPond this month, but
I think the best of those is vector-2d, which has the problems of
being too long and too easily confused with Scheme vectors.  Whatever.
 I haven't used vectors in the PostScript code, but I used them in the
SVG polygon code, and if I get a chance to refactor LilyPond's output
system this summer, I expect to use them much more heavily in both PS
and SVG.

David