Re: Repo user

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Repo user
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:49:15 +0100

Erlend Aasland escreveu:
Hello Han-Wen,

I've registered with username eaa on repo.or.cz <http://repo.or.cz>. Can you set me up with push access?

Hi,

it's done. We don't have much of a policy for branches at the moment, but here's an overview of what we currently have

 - cvs-head : hourly sync of CVS HEAD
 - cvs-lilypond_2_8 : hourly sync of CVS lilypond_2_8
 - master : default branch for development.

notes:

 * There are more branches, but they're currently unused.

* don't push into CVS branches. This either breaks our sync cron job, or your changes will be discarded (I think the latter, but am not sure).

* if unsure of a change, just push into a new branch. With the last releases of GUB, it's easy to build from separate branches.

Creating a new branch goes like

   git push  git+ssh://repo.or.cz/srv/git/lilypond.git \
       my-branch:refs/heads/new-remote-branch

Then  you can push with

   git push  git+ssh://repo.or.cz/srv/git/lilypond.git \
       my-branch:new-remote-branch

I have two proposals for organizing branches, I hope Johannes (our resident GIT guru) will weigh in on what's best

 * have a debian-like: stable, unstable, exp

where features start out in the exp branch, and go into unstable after initial testing. Every once in a while, we sync unstable to stable, and build a GUB release. We could have autobuild cron daemons that automate testing on unstable and exp, so we know when is a good time to sync.

 * have developer centered branches,

   master, master-hanwen, master-jan, master-eea, etc.

and a build-meister who will pull in changes from different developers to synthesize a new release which will be the basis for the official GUB builds.

Of course, this requires that we have someone who volunteers to be a build-meister. At present, master equals master-hanwen , and I'm the build meister. However, I wouldn't mind at all if someone else took over this job. All it requires is regular access to a fast linux running machine for running GUB.

Johannes?