Re: MacOS Lilypond distribution

From: Matthias Neeracher
Subject: Re: MacOS Lilypond distribution
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:32:15 -0800

On Nov 23, 2006, at 10:46 PM, Dylan McNamee wrote:
As far as I can tell, the Mac OS x86 archive of Lilypond on this page:

http://lilypond.org/web/install/

is actually a PPC binary.

Thanks for being the MacOS maintainer for this amazing program!

Actually, I'm NOT the MacOS maintainer, although I did contribute some MacOS work. As for the binary being PPC, first impressions might be deceptive:

• The lilypond binary itself (i.e. the program that does the typesetting) is definitely Intel native. (See Lilypond.app/Contents/ Resources/bin/lilypond). • I'm not sure whether the frontend runs translated or native, but as far as I recall, the actual PPC binary in the app is tiny and only serves to launch a python script that does the actual work. Therefore, the frontend might also be running native (and in any case, that would be fairly irrelevant either way, because the frontend is not performance critical).

Hope this helps
Matthias