Re: Problems using git on savannah

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Problems using git on savannah
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 21:29:22 +0100

Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:
> I am attempting to use git for the first time, and am running into
> some problems.  Here is what I am attempting, and the accompanying
> error message:
>

> address@hidden:/usr/local/src$ git clone -n
> git://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git lilypond
> fatal: unexpected EOF
> fetch-pack from 'git://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git' failed.
>

> Am I missing a step, or doing anything else wrong?

Try

git clone -n git://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git

which is a shortcut for

git clone -n git://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git#master

Then you'll be able if you wish to add other branches from
git.sv.gnu.org to the same local repository (not with clone).

Note that I don't directly use git for most commands but cogito, a
high-level interface to git, so I don't guarantee the commands I give
you will work, but you get the idea.

John Mandereau <address@hidden>