Re: Correct way to ask for a glissando over a page break?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Correct way to ask for a glissando over a page break?
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:07:00 -0600

On 2/1/07, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Han-Wen, hi Joe,

Related to Google #253, what's the correct way to ask for a glissando
over a page break? Using Glissando #'breakable = ##t now issues a
warning about us not using forced distance anymore; why?

%%% BEGIN NO FORCED DISTANCE %%%

\version "2.11.15"

\new Staff {
   \override Glissando #'breakable = ##t
   c'1 \glissando
   \pageBreak
   d'1
}

%%% END %%%

GNU LilyPond 2.11.15
Processing `0082.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [2]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
programming error: deprecated. We don't use forced-distance anymore
continuing, cross fingers
Layout output to `0082.ps'...
Converting to `0082.pdf'...

However, leaving out the override to Glissando causes the pageBreak to
be ignored.

One last (I hope) related question is how to break a text spanner over
a line- or page-break without causing complaints:

%%% BEGIN %%%

version "2.11.15"

\new Staff {
  c'1 \startTextSpan
  \break
  d'1 \stopTextSpan
}

%%% END %%%

GNU LilyPond 2.11.15
Processing `0083.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [2]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
warning: outside-staff object TextSpanner has an empty extent
Layout output to `0083.ps'...
Converting to `0083.pdf'...

The music renders, but is there a way to turn the warning off because
I now have many hundreds of them?

[I guess these questions boil down to the same thing: I've got all
types of spanners like glissandi and text spanners and tuplet brackets
and stuff that break over line- and page-breaks all over the place.
Conventional notation certainly doesn't forbid that sort of thing and
it sure would be nice if Lily could accept these sorts of things
gracefully and quietly.]

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden