Re: GDP: squashed noteheads in improvisation

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP: squashed noteheads in improvisation
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:16:31 +0100

In these situations, the actual notes you enter are just placeholders to
be able to specify a rhythm (which is the only thing of interest in this
notation). So, why would you bother to use extra key strokes to specify
a note with an accidental?
Having written this, I just realize one obvious such scenario, namely when
you have some sequence of notes defined in an identifier and want to use it
both to print ordinary notes and to notate a rhythm.
In other words, it would probably make sense to replace the definitions in
property-init.ly with

improvisationOn =  {
   \set squashedPosition = #0
   \override NoteHead  #'style = #'slash
   \override Accidental #'stencil = ##f
}

improvisationOff =  {
   \unset squashedPosition
   \revert NoteHead #'style
   \revert Accidental #'stencil
}

   /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:

Eyolf Østrem wrote:
The improvisationOn/Off command produces squashed noteheads -- fine -- but if there are accidentals in the input code -- as in the example in the docs
(1.1.4 Note heads in the GDP version of the docs) -- these are retained,

Let's give them a minimal example:

\new Voice \with {
  \consists Pitch_squash_engraver
} \relative c'' {
  \improvisationOn
  f1
  fis1
}

We see a sharp for the fis. Is this a bug, or is it because we need something extra in the \with{} ?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology