Re: merge main -> GDP

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: merge main -> GDP
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:43:39 -0800

John Mandereau wrote:
Le jeudi 15 novembre 2007 à 10:30 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
Hi John,

After 2.11.35 is released, the next time you merge GDP with main, could you also merge main with GDP? I'd like to get the latest bugfixes and the like.

Merging master into GDP will most probably result in a bunch of
conflicts, and anyway it'll bloat up the revision history with duplicate
commits (original GDP commits and GDP commits cherry-picked onto
master).  Moreover, I wouldn't want to spend time on it, as I already
resolved those conlicts in master, excepted that I had the "stupid" idea
to rebase instead of merging -- in fact it didn't look me stupid because
I believed we'd junk the gdp branch after rebasing.

I suggest to junk current lilypond/gdp then create a new branch starting
from master, and merge this new branch and master regularly, with no
more rebasing (like what I do with lilypond/translation).  There are
other options, but this one seems to me the most reasonable.

I'll let a GIT person respond to this; I really don't know enough about git to judge whether this is the best solution or not. It sounds fine to me.

We'll only do this once every two or three months, unless there's an urgent bug fix. But since GDP still has the code for 2.11.32, I think it's due for an update.

It might be better to merge master into GDP more often, e.g. at each
release or even whenever you have checked make and 'make web' succeeds
with current master (I do the latter for lilypond/translation).

I build docs with the binary, so
1)  I can't check make (or make dist)
2) Don't merge main->GDP any more often than immediately after a .11 release.