Re: Request for comments: prettify snippets page

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Request for comments: prettify snippets page
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:29:13 +0100

Le jeudi 03 janvier 2008 à 14:52 +0100, Valentin Villenave a écrit :
> 2007/12/30, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:
>
> > Actually,  putting all the files in one dir is the easy part. What you
> > should do first is to extend/change the pipeline to do process tags in
> > a single dir, and apply that to input/lsr/some-dir ; once it works and
> > is fully tested, you can add tags annotations based on directory
> > names, and then move all of the files to a single dir.

I already coded the second part (i.e. add tags based on directories and
write lys in input/lsr with no subdirs) of this idea in makelsr.py, the
first part could help cleaning up input/new.

> I might have completely misunderstood the discussion here. Feel free
> to tell me if I'm just off-topic.

You aren't :-)

> What about my initial suggestion to Sebastiano:
> -putting all the snippets in one single dir
> -create directories for each tag
> -just add relevant symlinks in these directories to tagged snippets?

Of course, it would be saner to have all snippets in one directory;  but
one of my previous thoughts was also to get rid of directories, and put
the tags info directly in lilypond files, in a form like

(snippet-title.ly)
\header {
  texidoc = "foo"
  doctitle = "Snippet title"
  lsrtags = "docs,pitches"
}
{ ly code }

(I've sent Sebastiano a patch for "doctitle".)

However, the current LSR output in http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/download/ is
fully usable, so getting rid of directories in LSR output is only
cleaner, it's useless and require coding work from Sebastiano and me, so
forget about it.  There are more important issues, like LSR i18n.

> ...John, one more thing: what about URL rewriting? you don't
> necessarily have to change the directories nor the filenames to get
> "nice" URLs with full names in it.

This might require extra Apache setup on lilypond.org, and only
lilypond.org webmasters (i.e. Han-Wen and Jan) can do that; I doubt
they'd like to spend time for this.  Maybe we should forget about it and
think about less involved solutions that will also work offline; anyway
I think the current snippets-> linking Texinfo macros are enough for our
needs.

Cheers,
John