Re: fonts mangling

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: fonts mangling
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:26:27 +0100

Le dimanche 20 janvier 2008 à 11:55 +0100, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
> > I've experienced problems with latest clean build of Git branch
> > master, with new mf->pfb conversion by mf2pt1:
>
> Please use the update mf2pt1 files which I've committed to the main
> branch.

You mean 68ffa130b219bee4a3dec6dbb65f92a660d19552 "Important update to
mf2pt1 2.4.3", don't you?  I built with current master branch, I'm sure
I didn't miss it.

> > dynamics and time signatures are sometimes printed with some
> > Helvetica font instead of feta-alphabet.
>
> I don't think this is related to mf2pt1 at all...

I'm a newbie concerning fonts handling, so I can't find the exact cause
of the problem.  I don't know if this is related to mf2pt1, but I can't
reproduce it with GUB linux-x86 2.11.37; I'm compiling 2.11.37 release
to see whether the problems comes from my build system or from source
changes -- if it's the latter, I'll try to use 'git bisect' to find the
relevant commit.

I also quote excerpts from PS outputs below, in case it is helpful.

When I run latest compiled lilypond on input/F.Schubert/morgenlied.ly,
the resulting morgenlied.ps looks bad in Evince (all 6/8 signatures are
printed in DevaVuSans) and contains at the beginning

%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Aybabtu-Regular
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Bold
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-BoldItal
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font DejaVuSans
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-16

and at the end contains what looks like a 6/8 time signature in printed
DejaVuSans instead of feta-alphabet

/DejaVuSans 5.79882812 output-scale div selectfont
2.5655 0.0000 /eight
1 print_glyphs
27.7793 -25.0345 moveto
/DejaVuSans 5.79882812 output-scale div selectfont
2.5241 0.0000 /six
1 print_glyphs

For comparison, running lilypond on input/mutopia/E.Satie results in a
PS file which looks good with Evince and contains

%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Aybabtu-Regular
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Bold
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-20
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font feta-alphabet20-Medium

Even more surprising, typography-demo.ps (compiled from
input/typography-demo.ly) shows one time signature in DejaVuSans and one
other in feta-alphabet, the 'f' dynamic looks good, and the .ps contains
a the beginning

%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Aybabtu-Regular
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Bold
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Ital
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font DejaVuSans
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-11
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-14
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-20
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Sazanami-Gothic-Regular
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font feta-alphabet20-Medium

Cheers,
John