Re: Using \\ in a texinfo macro argument generates \ in html, but \\ in

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Using \\ in a texinfo macro argument generates \ in html, but \\ in pdf
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:51:47 -0700

Let's go with @bs{}, since it's shorter.

> > Well, if it needs to be done, we can do it.  It makes the docs
> > slightly harder to work with, but that's still better than having
> > incorrect output.
> >
> > This only applies to @code{} that appears inside @warning{}, or
> > other macros, right?
>
> This applies to all arguments of custom-defined macros (i.e.
> everything inside @warning, @q, @notation, etc.)

Nobody should be writing @notation{\ or @q{\, so hopefully it'll
work out.  :)

> Does this problem really appear only once in our whole documentation?
> There's only that one FIXME in tutorial, and @value{backslash} is
> never used at all...

You'll have to ask somebody else about @value{backslash}; it
didn't come from me.  I think it was John?

Anyway, this *is* a problem elsewhere, but the other cases aren't
marked with nice FIXME.  :(

When 2.11.44 comes out, I'll ask for proofreaders for NR 1.1
Pitches (again, since a few things have changed since Jan) and
NR 1.7 Editorial.  Hopefully they'll catch any such problems.
I'll also quickly glance through the source of those two sections.