Re: run lilypond-book on internals

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: run lilypond-book on internals
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:19:12 -0700

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:34:11 -0300
"Han-Wen Nienhuys" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/4/8, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>:
> >  One problem that's not solved using this strategy is that property
> > names like "style" are
> >  used for different purposes on different grobs.
>
> Yes, but they aren't solved in Graham's proposal either.

True.  I like your suggestion; if Reinhold or John could look into
this once they've finished the texi2html stuff, that would be
awesome.

>  Also, this
> should not really occur: usually the 'style property is used for the
> same purpose (switching the style of the grob), but it's just the set
> of supported values changes from grob to grob.

This really attracts my interest: is this true for everything?  Or
alternatively, *could* this be true for all properties?

ie if a property contains a #'style property, the only function of
#'style is to assign values to other properties.

Ideally, this would work the other way as well: the *only*
property which sets other properties is #'style.  Or possibly
#'style-foo, #'style-bar, etc.

This would simply the explanation of how properties work.  In the
internals, we could discuss #'style at the top of each grob, then
have the list of properties (and their docs from
Documentation/internals/ ) below it.